You are here:About
About Us
Southern Charm with a Modern Flair...

Magnolia Manor boasts a rich history beginning in 1912, when Prestley Stanton built the home for his wife, “Miss Annie” as she was affectionately known. Over the years the manor has been transformed several times, but its style and beauty remain intact. Through loving care the ambiance of the home and gardens has been preserved and is again available to the public.

The History and Tales of Magnolia Manor

 1911 The original house, known as the “Akridge Old Home Place,” and the land were purchased by Prestley and Annie Gunter Stanton.
 1912 The Akridge Home Place (also known as Gunter Hall) was moved to the rear of the adjacent lot.
 1912 The House was built by Prestley Stanton.
 1930s The family fell on hard times after the death of Prestley Stanton. Pecans were sold from the grove in the rear of the house to help support the family. Mrs. Stanton also raised cows and chickens and sold eggs and butter to get by. At one time the house had been taken over by the bank. Mrs. Stanton raised enough money from her pecans, eggs and butter to get the house back.
 1941 During World War II the house was turned into an inn offering room and board and called “The Colonial Inn.”
 1950s Business at the inn declined after the war, and the inn was converted into an apartment house with “Miss Annie” also staying in the house and cooking for the tenants.
 1965 After the death of Mrs. Stanton, the house was bequeathed to William Stewart of Chapel Hill, NC, the sole heir of the family estate. He sold the house to the Eidson family, who returned it to a single-family residence. During the time the Eidsons owned the house it was rumored they birthed a calf in the kitchen because it was too cold outside!
 1971 Glen and Susan Pelham (a local artist) purchased the property from the Eidson family. The Pelhams changed the windows in the Drawing Room and Music Room (the two forward rooms) to full length multi-light windows, added French doors from the Music Room and Study onto the front porch, paneled and added a wet bar in the Study by taking space from the bathroom on the main level. The Pelhams also added gas logs to the fire places. In addition to these improvements, they also added a curbed asphalt drive in the front.
 1975 The home was purchased by Maurice and Helen Sinberg. The Sinbergs lived in the house for eight years during which Mr. Sinberg died.
 1983 The house was purchased from the Sinbergs by Clafton Snyder and her husband. The Snyders had planned to restore the house to its original grandeur; however, Mr. Snyder died shortly after the purchase. Mrs. Snyder occupied the house until 1995.
 1995 The property was purchased by Louis and Billie Van Dyke, the owners of the Blue Willow Inn, (a prominent restaurant in town). The Van Dykes spent several months renovating the house in the fashion the Snyders had envisioned. The kitchen and back porch were expanded. An 1800 square foot deck was added to the rear of the home to accommodate large groups and parties. The back yard was fenced and landscaped with formal gardens, fountains and patios. The asphalt drive was removed and replaced with a brick drive.
 1996 The house was opened as “Magnolia Hall,” a catering and special events facility in 1996. The facility operated until it closed in 2009 and remained bank owned until October 2012.
 2012 The property was purchased by Mike and Judy Owens in late October 2012 to be used as office space for Mr. Owens business. After several weeks of planning renovations and spending time in the manor house and gardens (and reportedly a few conversations with resident ghosts) Mr. Owens changed his mind and decided to reopen the facility to the public. Renovation is currently under way with plans to open as Magnolia Manor in mid-spring of 2013. Future plans include converting the upstairs into a bed and breakfast.  Bookings for weddings and private parties started as soon as the plans were announced.

Home   |   About   |   Weddings   |   Photo Gallery   |   Special Events   |   FAQs   |   Directions   |   Contact